14 December 2005

Just Call Me Veruca

I have never been a patient person. Most especially when there is no time frame or end-date for what I want. An open-ended promise or goal drives me insane because I want it NOW! When I was little, my parents promised me that we could get a dog once they had bought a house. Well, we moved into the house in September and there was still no dog by the beginning of October, so I took things into my own hands. I knew, even at the young age of six, that nagging and whining would not hurry the process at all, but rather make the parents less inclined. I had already promised all the requisite things, like taking care of the dog, feeding the dog, cleaning up after the dog etc. So I had to come up with something genius. And my devious six year-old brain did.

I found a small piece of wood, probably a small part of a shingle, and tied a white string to it. Then, I convinced my three year-old little brother that if we were ever going to get a dog, he would have to drag the wood-on-a-string creation around pretending it was a dog. Within a week or two, my parents had become so concerned with my brother’s mental health that we had a dog. Just in time for my birthday.

The problem now is that the things I want are much more expensive and grandiose. Also, I’m a (fairly) self-sufficient adult who can no longer psychologically manipulate her little brother nor her parents. At least not in good conscience. I can’t force my brother to drag around a piece of wood pretending it is his iPod, although the mental image of my 23 year-old brother attaching headphones to a piece of wood and carrying it around is just too amusing for words.

So, the issue remains. I want it NOW! It being different things at different times. But if I haven’t learned that instant gratification is unfulfilling in my past 27 years, I doubt it is a lesson I’ll learn anytime soon. Any advice?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Sorry, no advice from this bad nut. I want it now!

Scully said...

I do know, however, that even if I were to get everything I wanted it, I would still be a better person than, say, Paris Hilton. The world is so unfair.

Missy said...

Well, I haven't much advice either. Self denial hasn't ever been one of my strong suits. And now it is even for things I want for my kids and MR too! My disease is spreading, lol.

Anonymous said...

I grew up never having anything I wanted, but I don't think that will work in your case, since you are already grown up ;) I still want everything though!! Especially when I go to Target...

Unknown said...

LOL. Love the idea of dragging behind a stick and pretending it is an ipod! DOn't we all wish the world revolved on our time frame?

Anonymous said...

Ha, you only think out smarting ones parents is a thing of the past. You still have blue eyes don't you?