09 December 2005

The George Clooney Exemption

Remember when 40 was old. It was the age of our parents, our teachers, and all the other authority figures in our lives. It is the age at which my parents stopped aging in my head. It isn’t that I forget to observe birthdays and if you asked me how old they are, I could tell you, but it always surprises me that they have both entered their 50s. Part of the problem is that it always surprises me when I think about how old I am. I’m still shocked when I remember I’m not a teenager, nor even in my early 20s, that I’m closer to 30 than 20. The years seem to have flown by. Which is why when I heard that one of my friends had gone on a date with a 40 year-old, my first response was: Ew! He is old enough to be her dad. But he isn’t. In fact, he is barely over the 10-year mark that is my standard dating age limit. This age limit is of course self-imposed and completely arbitrary, however, I like it. It hasn’t proven an issue. Last night, Esperanza and I were discussing the conundrum of dating someone in the Over 40 set and the 10-year limit last night. We had both come to the conclusion that we liked the limit and couldn’t see ourselves dating someone over 40. There was a short pause and then we blurted out, in unison: Unless it’s George Clooney!

11 comments:

Missy said...

This made me laugh, Scully. I have this same age-relation problem as well.

George Clooney completely fits you. That ruggedly handsome gentlemen with a bad boy streak in him seems just right. ;)

Anonymous said...

I set my own personal age limit a few years ago to anyone born before 1980. With a December 1979 birth, my husband just barely made the limit. ;)

Scully said...

The 10 years only applies to being older than me. I totally agree with the 1980 limit for younger-thans.

Panini said...

Awesome!! LOL!! Awesome about George Clooney. Am I your friend dating 40 year-olds? How about the 38-year-old I was smooching this summer.
I KNOW! WEIRD!

Scully said...

You caught me, Panini. But the whole thing is just my own warped mind that still thinks I'm 17. Yeah, I'm lagging a decade behind. I need help.

Unknown said...

HAHAHAHAH. It was esp. funny that we both said George Clooney at the same time, am jealous Amanda Peate just got to be in a movie with him, am also jealous I don't LOOK like Amanda Peate. ;)

Scully said...

What movie is that? I want to see Good Night and Good Luck. I'm sad Syriana is rated R. I love how GC makes politically-minded films. Attractive AND politically active. Plus, I've long maintained that he is our generation's Cary Grant.

N.F. said...

George Clooney is MY boyfriend, um...heheee...

Unknown said...

Um, yeah. I also totally agree with the 1980 limit. Except for people who are, or look like, Tom Welling.

Scully said...

Parker, don't you wish SuperTWin had been born in the 70s! I suppose it is the Pretty Exemption!

Anonymous said...

Just think ladies, when you are all 70 and your hubbies still look good to you, you will also like the 20 year old pretty boys on the big screen. 10 years by any other name...could this be an ew?