04 November 2008

Hail To The Chief


I don't know how many of you took the opportunity to listen to President-Elect Obama's acceptance speech tonight. I know several of my regular readers are not fans, but I think his speech, purportedly written by him and not a speech writer, was impressive. He is a charismatic and eloquent speaker and tonight I think he managed to do what he does best, focus on the future and focus on possibility. Regardless of your political leanings or opinions about the man himself, it is awe-inspiring that the United States of America elected an African-American President. If he had been born fifty years earlier he would most likely have been denied the right to vote, but today he is the future President of the United States of America. That is amazing. It renews my faith in the American people. My faith that we can move past the darkest parts of our history, that we can uphold and build on and expand the ideals of equality, justice, and liberty on which our nation is founded, that we can look to the future and build a better future for our nation, our children, and our world. It will take sacrifice and hard work; it might be painful. But it is possible. And so I say, like the crowd in Chicago, "Yes We Can!" 

3 comments:

Relaxed Cat said...

YAY!!

Anonymous said...

Very well said!

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing that link, I missed it (went to bed) before Obama came on. I expected them to put him on sooner! That was a great speech. I like the thought about how much progress we could possibly make in the lifetime of his children....I hope so! I don't agree with him politically but really do respect him as a man.