21 May 2007

I Have No Words

I can't even process what has happened in the past five days. But this song has been running through my head constantly, so I thought I would share. It expresses everything so perfectly.

What Sarah Said
by Death Cab for Cutie

And it came to me then that every plan is a tiny prayer to Father Time
As I stared at my shoes in the ICU that reeked of piss and 409
And I rationed my breaths as I said to myself that I'd already taken too much today
As each descending peak on the LCD took you a little farther away from me

Amongst the vending machines and year-old magazines in a place where we only say goodbye
It stung like a violent wind that our memories depend on a faulty camera in our minds
But I knew that you were a truth I would rather lose than to have never lain beside at all
And I looked around at all the eyes on the ground as the TV entertained itself

'Cause there's no comfort in the waiting room
Just nervous pacers bracing for bad news
Ant then the nurse comes round and everone will lift their heads
But I'm thinking of what Sarah said:
That "love is watching someone die."

Ok, so I have heard from several individuals who were freaked out by the content of the song. Which is weird because I find huge amounts of comfort in this song and actually find it uplifting. Maybe because of the melody. I don't know. I didn't mean to scare or depress anyone. Sorry.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That is kind of depressing, but in a cathartic kind of way. I'll be praying!

Jared said...

Ha... i went to death cab in concert. Im used to that song by now haha. I will also be praying!

Anonymous said...

I like songs like this. One of my favorite the Smith's songs talks about getting hit by a two ton truck. "If a two ton truck, kills the both of us, to die by your side, what a heavenly way to die." Anyway, depressing in a romantic sort of way. Call me twisted.
Death Cab does have some awesome melodies. I love the "Soul Meets Body" melody.