21 September 2011

Responsible Is Sometimes A Four-Letter Word

Many years ago, during my sophomore year in college, I was horribly offended by a roommate's boyfriend. Unbeknownst to him, of course. My roommate said they were discussing our apartment and somehow started assigning them familial roles. Her boyfriend said I was like the mother of the apartment. I was not pleased. To my 20 year-old self this was most unfortunate. No one wants to be known as 'motherly' at the age of 20. I assumed it meant I was frumpy, overly responsible, and bossy. None of these are known to attract members of the opposite sex.

Flash forward to today. After a full day of subbing, I came home to find we only had one roll of toilet paper. After eating and taking a moment (or a couple hours) to relax, I cleaned up the kitchen, took out the garbage and recycling, and ran to the store for the aforementioned toilet paper, paper towels, and milk. As I was pulling into my complex's apartment, I noticed that my roommate who had come in as I was leaving had not bothered to close the front door. I was in the middle of grabbing my bags and grumbling about the open door when I realized I had again become the mother of my apartment. Maybe I never stopped.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

It's probably an oldest child and only daughter thing too as well I'd imagine. :) I think you are wonderful! There have been many times I've needed you to save me as the responsible one. So thanks!

Missy said...

Your title made me down right laugh out loud...I feel for you! Often it feels like "responsible party for 1" but you are amazing each day with your acts of service.

Heather said...

So you have normal human expectations.. call you MOTHER.

WalkConkies said...

So, what color personality does that make you? I wonder if we're the same? I was a blue - with quite a bit of white and wouldn't be surprised if you were similar? It can be draining feeling that you are responsible for being the responsible one, can't it?!? You can't argue that those aren't good qualities to possess though! And it sounds like your roommate could use someone to remember the tp :)!